Design Portfolio for Kathy Zadrozny
UChicago Library Catalog
UChicago Library Exhibit & Collection Integration
Black Metropolis Research Consortium
Induction for the 21st Century Teacher
The Great Escape
Writing & Teaching
"Tell Imposter Syndrome to Take a Seat."
In: We Can Do I.T.: Women in Library Information Technology, edited by Jenny Brandon, Sharon Ladenson, and Kelly Sattler, Library Juice Press, July 2018.
"Learning UX in User-Centered Reading Groups."
In: User Experience in Libraries Yearbook 2017: stories, techniques, insights, edited by Andy Priestner, 108-116. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2017.
Lectures & Workshops
- "How the FOLIO Project is Approaching Accessibility."
Big Ten Library Accessibility, Rosemont, IL. September 20, 2018.
- "Decoding Accessible Presentations."
Library UX Chicago: From Accessibility to Inclusion, Chicago, IL. July 27, 2018.
- "Learning UX in User-Centered Reading Groups."
UXLibsIII, Glasgow, Scotland, UK. June 6, 2017.
- Panel member: "Library Website Redesign."
Code4Lib, Chicago, IL. April 27, 2017.
- "Using Design Fiction to Explore Near-Future User Experiences in Libraries."
Academic Library Association of Ohio, Wilmington, OH. October 28, 2016.
- "Brainstorming and Prototyping Workshop."
Library UX Chicago, Chicago, IL. August 19, 2016.
- "From User Testing to Prototypes: Making Observations Tangible."
Designing for Digital, Austin, TX. April 6, 2016.
- "What was she pointing at when she said that?"
Library UX Chicago's Web Usability Testing Pop-Up Lab, Chicago, IL. November 10, 2015.
Web Developer and Graphic Design SpecialistUniversity of Chicago Library Chicago, IL | May 2015 - present
- Responsible for the graphic design, coding, development, and ongoing maintenance of the Library's web pages (e.g. public web sites, digital collections, staff intranet)
- Lead web accessibility projects and ongoing ADA compliance upgrades for all Library print and digital platforms
- Conceptualized, planned, and implemented training programs for staff on Library web platforms, presentation standards, and social media techniques
- Oversee print and digital promotion and event campaigns and help in the development of an associate
Founder & Creative DirectorLetter Writers Alliance Chicago, IL | 2007 - Present
- Founded a membership based organization dedicated to the art of letter writing
- Conceptualized, designed, and developed an online community-based platform that has grown to reach 12,000+ worldwide members
- Manage all digital promotion, event organization, and online education
- Ongoing public lectures at Chicago Public Library, Read/Write Library, and Forest Park Public Library
Creative Director & DesignerFreelanceChicago, IL | 2005 - 2015
- Conceptualize, design, and develop brand identities across a variety of media for nonprofits, small businesses, and large corporations
- Design and code responsive websites from wireframes to completion
- Define strategies for creative campaigns applied to both print and digital media
- Select clients include: The Land of Nod—a national store for children's furniture and apparel, Union Mission—a Savannah-based homeless shelter, and Leslie Parry—a Chicago-based author
Senior Designer & Director of WebSpring Air Company Chicago, IL | Oct 2005 – Sept 2006
- Designed print, television, and web materials for Spring Air and its brands
- Maintained all web and internet applications, including an online shop for wholesale merchants
- Worked with PR department to create brand identities and promotional materials
Art Director & Graphic DesignerThe Well Advertising Chicago, IL | Feb 2004 – May 2005
- Implemented concepts, design, and art direction for all print and web material
- Handled market research, brand strategy proposals, and client proposal presentations
- Responsible for developing brand identity, packaging, and in-store promotions
Volunteer & Internships
- The Future of Libraries is Open (FOLIO)
Accessibility Special Interest Group, 2018 – Present
- Girls Who Code
Facilitator, 2016 – 2018
- National Postal Museum
Public Programs, February & July 2012; September 2014
- Art Institute of Chicago
Special Collections, July – August 2012
- Newberry Library
Map Cataloger, June 2011 – June 2012
- Chicago History Museum
Archives & Manuscripts, June – August 2008
- Jen Library
Special Collections Department, March – May 2007
- Zegers DDB Worldwide
Graphic Design, August – November 2003
Specializing in user interfaces and accessibility Kathy Zadrozny builds applications that serve patrons of all backgrounds and abilities. She crafts workshops and lectures that engage attendees in creating accessible communities within their work and institutions. Her lectures have taken her to worldwide conferences like Designing for Digital, UXLibs, and Code4Lib.
She has published chapters in the books User Experience in Libraries Yearbook 2017: stories, techniques, insights (2017) and We Can Do I.T.: Women in Library Information Technology (2018). In her spare time she teaches young women how to code through the Girls Who Code program and manages the letter writing organization she co-founded in 2007, the Letter Writers Alliance.
Kathy's projects have garnered attention from BBC World Service, NPR, RedEye, and Gapers Block. She has also been featured in the books Good Mail Day, and Craft Business Heroes.
Kathy lives in Chicago, but has lectured across the globe. She's led workshops on topics that cover web design, brainstorming, prototyping, and accessibility.
If you are interested in Kathy leading a workshop or lecture at your event, contact her at kathy.zadrozny (at) gmail (dot) com