Design Portfolio for Kathy Zadrozny
UChicago Library Catalog
UChicago Library Exhibit & Collection Integration
Black Metropolis Research Consortium Website
University of Chicago Library Map System Redesign
Induction for the 21st Century Teacher
The Great Escape
Writing & Teaching
"Tell Imposter Syndrome to Take a Seat."
In: We Can Do I.T.: Women in Library Information Technology, edited by Jenny Brandon, Sharon Ladenson, and Kelly Sattler, Library Juice Press, July 2018.
"Learning UX in User-Centered Reading Groups."
In: User Experience in Libraries Yearbook 2017: stories, techniques, insights, edited by Andy Priestner, 108-116. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2017.
Lectures & Workshops
- Accessible Web Content and Online Exhibit Staff Training.
University of Chicago Library, Chicago, IL. Monthly in 2020.
- "How the FOLIO Project is Approaching Accessibility."
Big Ten Library Accessibility, Rosemont, IL. September 20, 2018.
- "Decoding Accessible Presentations."
Library UX Chicago: From Accessibility to Inclusion, Chicago, IL. July 27, 2018.
- "Learning UX in User-Centered Reading Groups."
UXLibsIII, Glasgow, Scotland, UK. June 6, 2017.
- Panel member: "Library Website Redesign."
Code4Lib, Chicago, IL. April 27, 2017.
- "Using Design Fiction to Explore Near-Future User Experiences in Libraries."
Academic Library Association of Ohio, Wilmington, OH. October 28, 2016.
- "Brainstorming and Prototyping Workshop."
Library UX Chicago, Chicago, IL. August 19, 2016.
- "From User Testing to Prototypes: Making Observations Tangible."
Designing for Digital, Austin, TX. April 6, 2016.
- "What was she pointing at when she said that?"
Library UX Chicago's Web Usability Testing Pop-Up Lab, Chicago, IL. November 10, 2015.
Web Developer and Graphic Design SpecialistUniversity of Chicago Library Chicago, IL | May 2015 - present
- Coordinate project launches and maintain product lifecycle by creating wireframes, page mocks, and user flows as well as prioritizing new features, triaging bug reports, and collaborating with developers to resolve emergency outages.
- Establish and advocate web team workflow and QA standards by formalizing our user testing, design mock evaluations, and development practices via documentation and staff training.
- Further campus-wide web accessibility projects, using WCAG 2.1 AA compliance to continuously improve our products, with the University using our checklist and standards as their digital ADA model.
- Restructuring of 3 primary websites using site audits to prioritize content migration, user testing and surveys to improve page content and site taxonomy, and engaged agile project management to launch consistent and reusable site elements.
- Overhauling the Library’s main website with an 82% increase in homepage user events and a 37% increase in news story click-throughs.
Founder & Creative DirectorLetter Writers Alliance Chicago, IL | 2007 - 2020
- Founded a membership based organization dedicated to the art of letter writing
- Conceptualized, designed, and developed an online community-based platform that has grown to reach 30,000+ worldwide members
- Manage all digital promotion, event organization, and online education
- Ongoing public lectures at Chicago Public Library, Read/Write Library, and Forest Park Public Library
Creative Director & DesignerFreelanceChicago, IL | 2005 - 2015
- Conceptualize, design, and develop brand identities across a variety of media for nonprofits, small businesses, and large corporations
- Design and code responsive websites from wireframes to completion
- Define strategies for creative campaigns applied to both print and digital media
- Select clients include: The Land of Nod—a national store for children's furniture and apparel, Union Mission—a Savannah-based homeless shelter, and Leslie Parry—a Chicago-based author
Senior Designer & Director of WebSpring Air Company Chicago, IL | Oct 2005 – Sept 2006
- Designed print, television, and web materials for Spring Air and its brands
- Maintained all web and internet applications, including an online shop for wholesale merchants
- Worked with PR department to create brand identities and promotional materials
Art Director & Graphic DesignerThe Well Advertising Chicago, IL | Feb 2004 – May 2005
- Implemented concepts, design, and art direction for all print and web material
- Handled market research, brand strategy proposals, and client proposal presentations
- Responsible for developing brand identity, packaging, and in-store promotions
Committees & Membership
- Diversity and Inclusion Team, UChicago Library
Committee Member, 2020 – present
- Google’s Women Techmakers
- Write/Speak/Code Chicago
- The Future of Libraries is Open (FOLIO)
Accessibility Special Interest Group, 2018 – 2020
- Girls Who Code
Facilitator, 2016 – 2018
Volunteer & Internships
- National Postal Museum
Public Programs, February & July 2012; September 2014
- Art Institute of Chicago
Special Collections, July – August 2012
- Newberry Library
Map Cataloger, June 2011 – June 2012
- Chicago History Museum
Archives & Manuscripts, June – August 2008
- Jen Library
Special Collections Department, March – May 2007
- Zegers DDB Worldwide
Graphic Designer, August – November 2003
Specializing in user interfaces and accessibility Kathy Zadrozny (she/her) builds applications that serve patrons of all backgrounds and abilities. She crafts workshops and lectures that engage attendees in creating accessible communities within their work and institutions. Her lectures have taken her to worldwide conferences like Designing for Digital, UXLibs, and Code4Lib.
She has published chapters in the books User Experience in Libraries Yearbook 2017: stories, techniques, insights (2017) and We Can Do I.T.: Women in Library Information Technology (2018). Kathy's projects have garnered attention from BBC World Service, NPR, RedEye, and Gapers Block. She has also been featured in the books Good Mail Day, and Craft Business Heroes.
Kathy lives in Chicago, but has lectured across the globe. She's led workshops on topics that cover web design, brainstorming, prototyping, and accessibility.
If you are interested in Kathy leading a workshop or lecture at your event, contact her at kathy.zadrozny (at) gmail (dot) com